The original Highfields State School was conducted in a hotel called the 'Rising Sun'. Students paid fees for tuition from a Mr Larkin. The first school building was erected sometime in the 1880's. The first head teacher was Mr Stuckey Reynolds Davis.
The school's population has fluctuated over the years and at one stage in the sixties was down to nine children. Then the residential land boom started. For many years classes were conducted in the school building now situated on the land next to the school, known as the Chocolate Cottage and Cafe.
In 1969 a new school building was built. During the seventies, eighties and nineties, growth of enrolments has continued to where Highfields State School is now one of the largest primary schools in the Toowoomba and Darling Downs region.